Cordova Enforcer

4.24.2013

Hey, It's time you and I had a little talk, see.
It's come to my attention that you ain't been paying your "blog reading rent" money. What you think you get these crazy stories for free? Nah Nah, it don't work that way kid.  You fork over some "bread" cause it would be a darn shame if something accidental like would happen to your sewing machine.
Whaz that? Sure I take fabric as payment, why don't you hand over that silk there and some of that jersey knit.  Ahh that's a good kid.  Ain't she a good kid Vinny?  Here have a cookie, you're alright.
Ummmmmm...please pay no attention to the "Faux Badass" above.  Turns out you put a little faux leather in her Cordova and she starts getting crazy ideas and threatening people with hip curves.  She's been properly medicated now so everything is fine. Here's your fabric back, we're still friends right?

OK enough crazy stuff, on to a proper pattern review. 

Pattern
Sewaholic Cordova Jacket

Fabrics used
Royal Blue wool suiting inherited from grandma's stash.  Black Faux leather purchased from emmaonesock.com a long long time ago.   Flower print lining purchased from Gorgeous fabrics also far in the past. The stashed 24" black "metal"coil zipper was purchased marcytilton.com but you can also purchase them directly from Ghee's.  (It's a plastic coil with a fancy silver color on it)

Pattern changes/alterations
1. As discussed a bit in the muslin post on this garment, I went with the single peplum tier option and drafted my own 1 1/2" wide neru collar.
2. The jacket length was increased by 1 1/2" for my own personal hem preferences.
3. Forward should adjustment of 1/2".
4. Sway back adjustment of 1 1/2".
5. The side seams were taken in 1".  This means I had to make a 1" fold in the middle of the peplum piece which was tapered out to 1/2" at the hem.
6. Filled in the back armhole and princess line seam for a broad upper back adjustment.
7. The garment was oddly caving in on my upper chest and the armhole edge was too far out over my shoulder only on the front.  Too kill two birds with one stone I took in the front princess line seam 1/2" right above the bust and tapered to out to 1/4" at the shoulder.

Confessions/Advice
1. I wish there was someone regularly stocking faux leather with a knit back because it was VERY forgiving.  You do get needle holes but the knit backing keeps the fabric from weakening.  I had to rip out portions of the collar several times and the fabric still looked good in the end.  It's a pain to sew on the right side, even with a tephlon foot, so most of the seams were done on the wrong side.

2. I'm not 100% happy with my self drafted collar, it seems to want to cave in around the zipper.  Sewing together the seam allowance of the facing and leather piece did help but not as much as I'd hoped.  In hindsight I probably should have built up the neck line a little more before drafting the collar.  Also, don't face your collar in wool suiting, it's itchy.

3. I skipped the topstitching around the zipper just because I could not get it even .  Too bad, it would have looked good. (I was using the topstitching foot BTW)

4. Must have made a measuring mistake when lengthening the jacket because the center back hem was not long enough to fold all the way to the facing. I tacked in another piece to make it the right length but that added some extra bulk you can somewhat see while wearing.  A better option might have been to cut the piece down to a 5/8" seam allowance and given it a facing of it's own.

5. I sewed an orphan, peeps.  Going to have to make some black pants to go along with this.  Oh NO! Not Pants!

Husband Comment
"It looks like something a character on Star Trek would wear, except for the fluffy crap on the shoulders."  (Not a fan of shoulder pleats it seems, too bad cause I like'em!)
My Final Thoughts
This project benefited from some closet marination time.  The collar and back facing issues where right at the end of the sewing process and I was beating myself up about not catching them in the muslin.  Now that a couple of weeks have past I can say these issues aren't that noticeable. 

Looking at the photos has made me realize this jacket is pretty awesome!  Love the color/fabric combo and the zip front.  The style changes I made suit me rather well, just need to make some bottoms to go with the jacket. Now excuse me, I have to return these legging that have no butt room. (It never ends)

14 comments:

  1. Enforcer, eh? I like it. But you knew that. I just feel like commenting again and again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you love commenting again and again. Excellent /\.

      Delete
  2. OOh, I don't know whether to run away in fear or up to you to check out this jacket!?!?! Great job! Like the blog layout makeover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise not to hit any of my lovely sewing friends with rulers...unless they are trying to buy fabric that I also want. :) Glad you like the layout makeover!

      Delete
  3. Pffft. My sewing machine is already in the shop, so you can't do anything worse to it. ;)

    And it reminds me more of Stargate Atlantis than Star Trek--see http://epguides.com/StargateAtlantis/cast.jpg-- but I still think it's cool! (I miss that show.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh Oh, my threats won't work against Becky. You're the do gooder that's gonna break up my crime ring aren't you? ;)

      Delete
  4. Love this post! The jacket is awesome. I love the black and blue together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great jacket - and great poses! I really like the faux leather panels and I've been waiting to see someone change up the neckline on this jacket. I made a Cordova about a month ago and interestingly I had the same issue with the center back and I hadn't made any changes to the pattern. I'll have to go back and look at the original pattern pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shar, I'm glad you like the poses. It was really fun.

      Delete
  6. great post! and a lovely jacket. and total Stashbusters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks PK, I'll be buy your house for the "fabric payment". *wink, wink*

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs