Me-Made-May this year I'm in!

4.20.2013

I'm pretty excited to participate in Me-Made-May this year cause it's my first.  That whole "keeping a tiny human alive" thing kind of cramped my blog reading for awhile, so I didn't find out about this zeitgeist until it was over last year.  "What's this the kids are doing? Taking pictures of their outfits? Where are my prunes?"

Since I've made about 75% of my wardrobe for several years, just wearing a Me-Made didn't seem like enough.  It's supposed to be a challenge after all so, what crazy plan can I torture myself with?  Then the giant pile of stretch laces fell over and I had an answer, make some *&$^#* bras already.

Back in January the bra making bug bit me and a large cache of supplies was stockpiled.  Nothing like an excuse to create a new stash niche! There are patterns,  fabrics, underwires, hooks, even a complete custom dyed kit bought from Hooks and Wires on etsy.  It's all been looking at me with sad eyes saying, "Why did you buy us just to stuff us in a drawer?"
What? Shut your sassy mouths and get back in that drawer....but not before I pet you.

For an extra dose of confidence in this crazy scheme I bought the Orange Lingerie e-book "Demystifying Bra Fitting and Construction," and am reading it in "The Cloud"  (Seriously who came up with that term?  I worked in software and it still sounds like made up bull honky.)  Not far enough into the book yet to say much more than the writing stay is nice and clear.  It gives me positive vibes that I'm not so cray cray after all.

So let's make this whole plan official shall we,

I, Heather of Handmade by Heather B, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '13. I endeavor to wear me-made items at least 5 days a week for the duration of May 2013. I also pledge to have at least one me-made bra and pantie set by the end of the month.

Look forward to 15 pictures of me wearing the fangy clouds lounge pants and the narwhal shirt. Sexxxy

10 comments:

  1. Go you! Looking forward to the 15 piccies + set - you have some super looking fabric in your new stash ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith, I got a few nice things before the fabric budget came down. Muhaaaa!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh Heather, can't wait to see your undies projects. Your Archers are awesome, so it's obvious that your undies will be magnificent as well :D. I've been pulled into the bra-sewing vortex in recent months too, and have amassed quite the bra sewing supply stash (a girl could have worse vices, right?) :O! I've found bra-sewing to be surprisingly easy, the fitting maybe not so much though. Which pattern(s) do you plan to use? I'm currently loving the Pin-Up Girls Shelley pattern --- pretty, easy to sew and great support for a busty girl like me :D.

    I want Norma's book, but have a Nook rather than a Kindle, and since there doesn't seem to be a Nook version currently available I need to figure my way around that barrier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Ginny. Right now I have the Pin-up girls classic bra and the Linda. Bought them right before Shelly came out or I would have gotten that one too.

      You can read Norma's book in your web browser. I don't have any electronic reader or I-pad so that's how I know. Of course that's not as portable as a Nook. :)

      Delete
  3. Making bras seems like a daunting task to me, but good for you! Sadly, no me-made-may for this stitcher: between packing and a cross-Canada roadtrip/move I will likely be sporting nothing fancier than sweatpants all month long. I look forward to checking out your MMM outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like your May will be exciting in a different way. But I'll be sad that you won't be posting anything in the stash busting group for awhile.

      Delete
  4. I want a narwhal shirt. My SON wants a narwhal shirt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady K, I used this spoonflower print for my narwhal shirt. http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/194501

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be watching for the pj pants for 15 days. Hey, you can wash while you sew another pair, right? go grab your prunes and sit down with your fiber capsules and get to work on those bras. I'm about ready to try it again, especially if OhhhLulu does her sewalong.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs